Sunday, June 29, 2008

Say What?

I seem to have developed some sort of addiction to songs that I can't understand. I suppose this all started when I was in high school. Remember that whole F4 mania? Me and my friends were not exempted from it. Were were HUGE F4 fans. We knew all the songs (even if they were all in Mandarin), we had posters (jologs, i know, but, hey cut us some slack, we were kids), and we watched Meteor Garden faithfully. The fanaticism eventually waned as we grew up. Plus Meteor Garden 2 sucked, in my opinion.

When I was in my junior year in college, one of my classmates found out that I'm a big fan of Disney cartoons. So she gave me copies of Disney soundtracks in French and in Spanish. I love listening to it even if I don't understand most of it.

A few weeks ago, one of my roommates brought home a copy of the Taiwanese version of Hana Kimi. I absolutely loved it. I now have this huge crush on Jiro Wang and I am hooked on their Taiwanese boyband, Farenheit. The girl who plays Rui Xi (Joey) in the series has a girl band called S.H.E and I tried listening to their songs and I really liked them, too even if my Mandarin vocabulary only consists of five word, more or less. I guess Farenheit and S.H.E are super famous in Taiwan because they have a lot of collaborations and stuff. Their music videos are so cute. Some of my favorites are: Zen Me Ban, Wo You Wo De Young, Xin Wo, and Xie Xie Ni De Wen Rou (I hope I spelled them all correctly).

Another song that I love but I can't understand is Utada Hikaru's First Love. This one's in Japanese but some of the words are in English.

A lot of these songs are totally incomprehensible to me (except the ones in Spanish which I can kind of understand) but I really like listening to them because foreign languages really fascinate me. I'd really like to learn as many languages as my brain is capable of.

No comments: